Skip to main content

To unfollow my dream. The beginning.

Image Source: Wikipedia
I grew up believing that dreams do come true. I was taught that as long as you work hard, follow your heart's desire, do good, and pray to God, your dreams will someday come true. We were also taught that If you fail once, try again. And if you still fail, try harder. As they say, try and try until you die. Really? 

I just turned 40 last year and I guess there is truth in the saying that life begins at 40. A few days after I turned 40, I took the time to assess the years that went pass me. I assessed my career, my finances, my family, and my life in general. I realized that the 40 years of my life was not that easy at all, in fact it was difficult and painful most of the time. Living in a third world country like the Philippines made it even more difficult especially for someone like me who was born in a family whose income is just enough to support our basic needs. As a child I enjoyed little comfort and luxury. I grew up in a state where we do not have the means to buy comfort or even at least try some luxury. My parents were both educators by profession and teachers during my childhood (or maybe until now) were mostly underpaid. My parents' income were just enough to provide our basics.We do not have extra money to buy what we want, we only buy what we need. My father who is very frugal to the point that he will turn away from simple purchases and will do away with life's comfort so he can save portion of his small income. My mother, who I already mentioned was an educator, worked multiple teaching jobs - mooning from one school to another. She worked day, night and even during weekends. Her income also experienced the same fate, not enough to compensate her effort. Her only consolation was that teaching was her passion. Here in the Philippines, your passion is not enough to feed your family. Sometimes we have to give up our passion because it is the practical thing to do. And that was the philosophy I grew up with and honestly I hate it. 

When I entered college, I took a course that was practical. A course I thought will help me land a job that was why I took a business course and I majored in Marketing. At first, I was not that enthusiastic about that course but as we went along with the different subjects like Management, Business Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Organization and Marketing, I began to realize that this was the course for me. That was the time I envisioned myself that I will be a successful businessman and I will own and manage multiple companies someday. And from that day on, I was in hurry to finish college so I can already find a job and start saving my income that I will use it to put up my business. 

After finishing college, finding a job was easy but my only difficulty was to accept job offers because salaries for newly graduates was so low, it was just enough to pay for my transportation and for my daily lunch. I had no choice, I took a job with that kind of pay scale. I was unhappy that time for two reasons: first was my salary, how can I be happy with that. Second, since my salary was not enough to cover even my basics so how the hell can I save something for my future business? 

Day after day on my work, my enthusiasm towards my dream was slowly falling apart. Reality was slowly messing up my future plans of putting up my own company. With the amount of salary that I was earning that time it will probably take me forever to save enough to capitalize my future business. Thus, that was when it all began - when I started to drift away from my dream... To be continued

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Joshua Miguel

I grew up believing that dreams do come true. I was taught that as long as you work hard, follow your heart's desire, do good, and pray to God, your dreams will someday become a reality. I was also taught that If you fail once, try again and if you still fail, try harder. As they say, try and try until you die. I turned into writing blogs to release my frustrations in life. I wrote articles in Hubpages, Triond, Bukisa, and Associated Content. I am no longer active on those sites, I just created this blog site and  concentrated on this instead. Who is Joshua Miguel? Our real name was given to us by our parents. Not that I don't like the name given to me but if given a chance to change my name I would choose Joshua Miguel. That is the story behind my pen name and that is the reason why my blog-site's name is "Joshua's Page ". All articles in this blog-site were inspired by my day to day tho ughts and experiences. Hope you will en

Independence when there is no freedom

The Philippines is celebrating today its 122nd  Independence day.  Today we remember how our forefathers claimed their freedom from the Spaniards who enslaved them for almost 333 years. Thanks to our national hero Jose Rizal, who sparked the hearts of the Filipinos through his provoking novels. This eventually inspired a revolution which then gave birth to our first republic in 1889.  Today, due to the Covid 19 pandemic, we are locked at our homes and we have no freedom to move. As a result, we are deprived to work and earn a living. We are deprived to travel, to gather, and to celebrate. Our lives have so many restrictions.This was the same experience of our forefathers when their freedom was taken away from them by the Spaniards. Good thing this Covid 19 is only temporary. Once the vaccine is commercially available, our lives will soon return to normal and our freedom will be restored. Imagine if this quarantine is permanent, people will became restless, agitated and probably lose th

When destiny unfolds

Original Photo by Joshua Miguel No matter how much effort we put in organizing and planning our life, the tides of our destiny will always dictate our fate. We always come across the word destiny, but most of us do not really know what it means. D estiny is a predetermined event in a person’s life that is beyond human control. Destiny is also known as our “purpose in life” . In my own opinion, it will take a big deal of time before we discover our true destiny is . I myself who is already 42 years old as of this writing is still in doubt of what my real task in this world. Every single day I always ask my self what my Creator wrote in my palm and what is waiting for me at the end of this tunnel called life. When I was still in my childhood years, I see my future as difficult and full of challenges because that was what I saw from my parents. My dad in particular was the one who inculcated in my mind that adult life is tough and I should prepare for it. He always told