Skip to main content

Your future is in your hands

Another Filipino was found dead in Hong Kong just recently according to a report in Hong Kong News. 

The victim according to the report is a 47-year old domestic Filipina helper from Leyte and it was believed that the Filipina committed suicide. The news report also said that this is the fifth suicide case of Filipino in Hong Kong for this year.


Despite the Philippines' continuous economic growth, Filipinos are still flocking to unfriendly and dangerous working environment abroad just to earn a living. This makes me wonder if the economic growth being bragged by our economic leaders is really being felt by ordinary Filipinos. I myself is not convinced that there is really an economic boom in this country. Yes, I see a lot of new skycrapers here and there, and news of businesses booming in most parts of our country. Our government has been very generous in reporting economic data to prove that our country is indeed in the right track to industrialization. I believe in their numbers, but what is the meaning of these numbers if the benefits of our economic boom is only felt by the few? In my opinion, businesses are really booming, most businessmen are benefiting in our current economic growth. But their gains are not being properly shared to their workers, though there are some businesses who share their wealth to their employees in the form of salary increases or bonuses. But unless there is no mandate from the government to share their profits, it will never happen. 

The government should have been instrumental in the proper distribution of wealth in the form of proper tax collection. However, because of our crazy tax system, it only discourages profitable businesses to pay correct taxes.  This is coupled with the inefficiency of our Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) in the collection of taxes and their ineffective manner of catching big time tax evaders. Our BIR is only good at bullying SME's and salaried employees. Small time tax payers are being penalized with lesser take home pay because of tax deductions while big time earners and profitable business have more profits because they can get away evading taxes. Though we should also commend our BIR since they are more aggressive now in terms of tax collection and prosecuting tax evaders as compared to the previous administration, but they still have a long way to go.

Poor safe keeping and spending of collected taxes is another issue why wealth is not being properly distributed in our country. Most of the taxes are being stolen by corrupt public officials. Corruption in our local government is rampant and this is no secret. But despite that, these same corrupt governors, mayors, and even barangay captains are being elected over and over again. 

Most of us are already disgusted with this system but we cannot do anything about it. We have no one to turn to and there is no government agency whom we can trust or has the political will to fight corruption and prosecute thieves in our government. This is the reason why there are still Filipinos who prefer to leave this country and look for other countries with fair social system because ours is very unfair.

I feel sorry for that 47-year old Filipina domestic helper in Hong Kong and I also feel sorry for all the Filipinos who feel no more hope in this country. Election is just around the corner, and before you fill-up the ballot, think of the hardships that we have to endure to survive in this country. Think of all the pain and sorrows this government has given you and your love ones. Think of the all crimes and fighting in Mindanao which killed innocent people. Think of the traffic, corruption, flood, garbage, and crowded shanties in Metro Manila and other cities of our country... This will help you decide on who to elect this May and whom you will allow to rule our country and your future. Our country's future depends on your vote. Please vote wisely.

 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Joshua Miguel

I grew up believing that dreams do come true. I was taught that as long as you work hard, follow your heart's desire, do good, and pray to God, your dreams will someday become a reality. I was also taught that If you fail once, try again and if you still fail, try harder. As they say, try and try until you die. I turned into writing blogs to release my frustrations in life. I wrote articles in Hubpages, Triond, Bukisa, and Associated Content. I am no longer active on those sites, I just created this blog site and  concentrated on this instead. Who is Joshua Miguel? Our real name was given to us by our parents. Not that I don't like the name given to me but if given a chance to change my name I would choose Joshua Miguel. That is the story behind my pen name and that is the reason why my blog-site's name is "Joshua's Page ". All articles in this blog-site were inspired by my day to day tho ughts and experiences. Hope you will en

Independence when there is no freedom

The Philippines is celebrating today its 122nd  Independence day.  Today we remember how our forefathers claimed their freedom from the Spaniards who enslaved them for almost 333 years. Thanks to our national hero Jose Rizal, who sparked the hearts of the Filipinos through his provoking novels. This eventually inspired a revolution which then gave birth to our first republic in 1889.  Today, due to the Covid 19 pandemic, we are locked at our homes and we have no freedom to move. As a result, we are deprived to work and earn a living. We are deprived to travel, to gather, and to celebrate. Our lives have so many restrictions.This was the same experience of our forefathers when their freedom was taken away from them by the Spaniards. Good thing this Covid 19 is only temporary. Once the vaccine is commercially available, our lives will soon return to normal and our freedom will be restored. Imagine if this quarantine is permanent, people will became restless, agitated and probably lose th

When destiny unfolds

Original Photo by Joshua Miguel No matter how much effort we put in organizing and planning our life, the tides of our destiny will always dictate our fate. We always come across the word destiny, but most of us do not really know what it means. D estiny is a predetermined event in a person’s life that is beyond human control. Destiny is also known as our “purpose in life” . In my own opinion, it will take a big deal of time before we discover our true destiny is . I myself who is already 42 years old as of this writing is still in doubt of what my real task in this world. Every single day I always ask my self what my Creator wrote in my palm and what is waiting for me at the end of this tunnel called life. When I was still in my childhood years, I see my future as difficult and full of challenges because that was what I saw from my parents. My dad in particular was the one who inculcated in my mind that adult life is tough and I should prepare for it. He always told