Skip to main content

Contentment is the key. Don't lose it.

 I am not really a fan of boxing. But as a Filipino, I have no choice but to listen to boxing updates every time there is an upcoming Manny Pacquiao boxing event. And during the actual fight, I am glued on my TV and I am one with the nation praying for Manny's success. The hype of every Pacquiao's fight is so intense that every Filipinos even in the remotest areas in the Philippines are tuned in to the live telecast of Manny's fight. Whether its from a free pay-per-view  set-up in a town hall sponsored by a local politician or simply in the comfort of their homes via delayed telecast from a local TV station, Filipinos from all walks of life are always cheering on every punch Manny gives to his opponent. And for every victorious fight, the nation celebrates with Manny. But his last fight with Tim Bradley was totally different, Filipinos were not excited anymore. Somehow, Pacman already lost some of his charms. Maybe it all started when he entered showbiz, he became an actor, a comedian, a variety show host and a recording artist. Then, he entered into politics as a congressman and now he is running as a senator. He even changed his religion and replaced his Catholic faith. More than 80% of the Philippine population are Catholics, and they were not happy about it, including his mother - Mommy Dionisia. Most of his supporters started clamoring for his retirement after his fight with Juan Manuel Marquez on November 2012. Pacman's followers believed that he is no longer focused on his training due to the numerous functions he entered other than boxing. True enough, after his fight with Marquez, he lost his two consecutive fights.
This was the start of his downfall. Even his much awaited fight with Floyd Mayweather (which he also lost) was not enough to put him back into the spotlight. And the poor viewer turnover in his last fight with Tim Bradley just recently, even if he won,  was a clear sign that he is no longer a Filipino icon. So sad that he will be remembered this way.

I have no right to judge Manny, he may have some strong reasons why he kept on scheduling fights even if he already have the fame, the title, the respect, and the money. We do not know what his reasons are, why he is still not contented despite of all the blessings. There is a saying that he who wants everything every time will lose everything anytime. We humans are like that, we are not satisfied with what we have, we long for more. We have no contentment. Mahatma Gandhi once said, Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed.  

Image Source: Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bohol, The Province of The Chocolate Hills

Source The province is a popular tourist destination for travelers who enjoy the sun and the beach. It is also the home of the famous Chocolate Hills. Bohol is an island province in the Philippines. The province is a popular tourist destination for travelers who enjoy the sun and the beach.  Located southwest of Bohol’s capital city – Tagbilaran City, is Panglao Island which is famous for its diving locations and listed as one of the top ten diving sites in the world.  Panglao Island has white sandy beaches. Its sand is of high quality that’s why it is exported to other beaches in the world.  Another popular destination in Bohol is the “The Chocolate Hills”. These hills are considered one of Philippines’ natural wonders and is often denoted to as the “Jewel of the Philippines”. These are clusters of hills, approximately 1,700, made up of limestone-surplus which is said to have originated from coral reefs during the ice age when the island was submerged in...

Dad, you are the best father ever

When I was young you taught me how to read and rhyme, And showed me laughter under the smiling sunshine. I remember that day when I stumbled with pain But you carried me in you arms and the pain was gone. You taught me the meaning of respect, to other beings and to thyself You modeled these traits not only in thy words but by actions on oneself You taught me responsibility to thy spouse and to our dynasty You modeled these through thy affection to my mother and members of our family The greatest kings have conquered the strongest nation But believe me; no king is greater than your affection. As you leave this world we know But the love you’ve showed in my heart entombed Today I may be sad because you said goodbye For the angels in heaven took your soul up in the sky If mothers are the best, fathers are the greatest. Thank you for your fatherly love, it was the best. . Image Source: Wikipedia

To unfollow my dream. The beginning.

Image Source: Wikipedia I grew up believing that dreams do come true. I was taught that as long as you work hard, follow your heart's desire, do good, and pray to God, your dreams will someday come true. We were also taught that If you fail once, try again. And if you still fail, try harder. As they say, try and try until you die. Really?  I just turned 40 last year and I guess there is truth in the saying that life begins at 40. A few days after I turned 40, I took the time to assess the years that went pass me. I assessed my career, my finances, my family, and my life in general. I realized that the 40 years of my life was not that easy at all, in fact it was difficult and painful most of the time. Living in a third world country like the Philippines made it even more difficult especially for someone like me who was born in a family whose income is just enough to support our basic needs. As a child I enjoyed little comfort and luxury. I grew up in a state where we do not...