Skip to main content

A guide to pretentious management

Image Source
Pretentious individuals are most of the time lovable and sociable. In the corporate world, they are employees who moved up the corporate ladder not because of their professional abilities but simply because of their pleasant influence to the corporate decision makers. 

Honestly, working in a corporate world can be frustrating especially if the organization you are working with is infested with pretentious employees. As defined in Merriam-Webster dictionary, pretentious means making usually unjustified or excessive claims or someone who expresses excessive importance, worth or stature. In my personal observation, pretentious individuals are those  whose actions are not synchronized with their inner being. They are show-offs or hypocrites. They tend to display brilliance of ability that they really do not possess. They also make imposing parades which are ostentatious. They are people who pretend to be something that they are not. 

If I have my way, pretentious employees should have no room in the management scene. If you are an owner of a company, imagine entrusting the operations of your organization to a technically incompetent individual? Sadly, these types of employees do exist and many corporations are being managed by these types of people. 

HR practitioners should be the watchdog of the company against these types of employees. They should not allow these individuals to hold critical positions in the organization.  However, as I have witnessed in all the companies that I have worked with, most managers lack formal training. Most of them are usually not capable on developing the potential of their subordinates because they are not trained to manage people and delegate responsibilities. These untrained managers instead of coaching their staff or helping them move up the corporate ladder, secretly compete with them and feel threatened if their staff are showing good performances. As a result, typical crab-mentality will prevail wherein the manager will use his claws to pull down a shining subordinate so that he will not get ahead of him. Other managers will resort to credit grabbing and will take credit on all the good work of his staff but will blame the later in case of failed projects. 
 
HR managers should stimulate career growth of their workforce by rewarding deserving employees using acceptable evaluation criteria. If HR managers will not follow credible evaluation standards, employees will not strive in their work since they see no clear measures for the evaluation of their performances. This will eventually lead to the advancement of "pretentious managers" who are not ready to handle employees and might destroy the career path of their subordinates. 

For the undeserving and pretentious managers who made their way up the corporate hierarchy, here is my advice to you: Your charming antiques may have worked in the past, but you cannot forever hide your  technical ignorance on your corporate responsibilities. Sooner or later, top management as well as all the people working with you, will finally discover the real score of your brain. If you still have time to shape up, do it overtime! Or else… 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Joshua Miguel

I grew up believing that dreams do come true. I was taught that as long as you work hard, follow your heart's desire, do good, and pray to God, your dreams will someday become a reality. I was also taught that If you fail once, try again and if you still fail, try harder. As they say, try and try until you die. I turned into writing blogs to release my frustrations in life. I wrote articles in Hubpages, Triond, Bukisa, and Associated Content. I am no longer active on those sites, I just created this blog site and  concentrated on this instead. Who is Joshua Miguel? Our real name was given to us by our parents. Not that I don't like the name given to me but if given a chance to change my name I would choose Joshua Miguel. That is the story behind my pen name and that is the reason why my blog-site's name is "Joshua's Page ". All articles in this blog-site were inspired by my day to day tho ughts and experiences. Hope you will en

Independence when there is no freedom

The Philippines is celebrating today its 122nd  Independence day.  Today we remember how our forefathers claimed their freedom from the Spaniards who enslaved them for almost 333 years. Thanks to our national hero Jose Rizal, who sparked the hearts of the Filipinos through his provoking novels. This eventually inspired a revolution which then gave birth to our first republic in 1889.  Today, due to the Covid 19 pandemic, we are locked at our homes and we have no freedom to move. As a result, we are deprived to work and earn a living. We are deprived to travel, to gather, and to celebrate. Our lives have so many restrictions.This was the same experience of our forefathers when their freedom was taken away from them by the Spaniards. Good thing this Covid 19 is only temporary. Once the vaccine is commercially available, our lives will soon return to normal and our freedom will be restored. Imagine if this quarantine is permanent, people will became restless, agitated and probably lose th

When destiny unfolds

Original Photo by Joshua Miguel No matter how much effort we put in organizing and planning our life, the tides of our destiny will always dictate our fate. We always come across the word destiny, but most of us do not really know what it means. D estiny is a predetermined event in a person’s life that is beyond human control. Destiny is also known as our “purpose in life” . In my own opinion, it will take a big deal of time before we discover our true destiny is . I myself who is already 42 years old as of this writing is still in doubt of what my real task in this world. Every single day I always ask my self what my Creator wrote in my palm and what is waiting for me at the end of this tunnel called life. When I was still in my childhood years, I see my future as difficult and full of challenges because that was what I saw from my parents. My dad in particular was the one who inculcated in my mind that adult life is tough and I should prepare for it. He always told