Skip to main content

How to forgive someone who hurt us

Image Source
Forgiving the person that hurt you isn't easy especially if that person is close to you. In my previous post entitled How to Get Over a Betrayal I mentioned that we tend to seek revenge every time somebody we trusted hurt us or betrayed us. Based on my personal experience, the first emotion that we will feel after being hurt is anger and eventually that anger will turn into bitterness and bitterness will turn into hatred and this hatred will eat us alive from the inside out. 

Forgiving the people that have caused severe anguish in your life is not easy but forgiving these people is essential in releasing the pain that's been holding you prison and preventing you from enjoying your life's blessings. When we hold on to our anger towards the person who have wronged us, it us who will suffer the most and not the party that we hate. That pain, that bitterness, and that anger will continue to linger inside us unless we release that negative emotions from our hearts and our minds. We can only free ourselves from these negative emotions once we start forgiving those who have offended us.

I have experienced so much pain and betrayals in the past and I know I will still experience those in the future. But I would like to share with you some of my experiences on how I forgave those people (especially those that I have trusted). 

  • The earlier you forgive, the better.  The longer you hold on to your anger towards the person who offended you, the longer it will make your life miserable. Based on my personal experience, it will be more difficult to let go of that anger if that person is a daily part of your life like a family member, a neighbor, or an office mate. Day after day your mood will turn from good to bad the moment you see their faces... everyday will be a misery. If someone wronged you, it is normal to give yourself a few days to get angry at that person. But never allow that negative emotions to linger inside you long enough to let you do crazy things towards the person you hate. As early as possible, try to convince yourself that you need to forgive and by forging that mindset, the healing process begins. 
  • Keep yourself busy or do something that you enjoy. Getting involve in activities that will keep you busy will help divert your thoughts and will keep your mind away from the person that hurt you. If you have enough budget, you might want to take a vacation with someone you love like your spouse or partner. Also take this opportunity to share or open up your experience and find comfort with the person you trust the most.
  • Sometimes you may need some legal advice. Those who have hurt us might have wronged us too far. Some of their offenses might have violated your rights as an individual and you might want to uphold it back by legal means. However, not all legal suits may end up in your favor and it might entail legal costs on your part. Better consider all factors before going into this direction.
  • Seek spiritual guidance. Ask God today to search your heart, talk to Him and ask Him to remove all the bitterness and hate that is keeping you in prison in your past. Some of our pain might be already beyond our understanding and divine intervention is needed to help erase our hatred to those who have wronged us.
And as a final note, no matter how much pain you have suffered in the past, always remember that God is always there to embrace you and to wrap his compassion and love around you. You are not alone in this battle. Seek Him, seek His guidance and as you walk with Him, forgiveness will set in.

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. - Matthew 6:14-15

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Joshua Miguel

I grew up believing that dreams do come true. I was taught that as long as you work hard, follow your heart's desire, do good, and pray to God, your dreams will someday become a reality. I was also taught that If you fail once, try again and if you still fail, try harder. As they say, try and try until you die. I turned into writing blogs to release my frustrations in life. I wrote articles in Hubpages, Triond, Bukisa, and Associated Content. I am no longer active on those sites, I just created this blog site and  concentrated on this instead. Who is Joshua Miguel? Our real name was given to us by our parents. Not that I don't like the name given to me but if given a chance to change my name I would choose Joshua Miguel. That is the story behind my pen name and that is the reason why my blog-site's name is "Joshua's Page ". All articles in this blog-site were inspired by my day to day tho ughts and experiences. Hope you will en

Independence when there is no freedom

The Philippines is celebrating today its 122nd  Independence day.  Today we remember how our forefathers claimed their freedom from the Spaniards who enslaved them for almost 333 years. Thanks to our national hero Jose Rizal, who sparked the hearts of the Filipinos through his provoking novels. This eventually inspired a revolution which then gave birth to our first republic in 1889.  Today, due to the Covid 19 pandemic, we are locked at our homes and we have no freedom to move. As a result, we are deprived to work and earn a living. We are deprived to travel, to gather, and to celebrate. Our lives have so many restrictions.This was the same experience of our forefathers when their freedom was taken away from them by the Spaniards. Good thing this Covid 19 is only temporary. Once the vaccine is commercially available, our lives will soon return to normal and our freedom will be restored. Imagine if this quarantine is permanent, people will became restless, agitated and probably lose th

When destiny unfolds

Original Photo by Joshua Miguel No matter how much effort we put in organizing and planning our life, the tides of our destiny will always dictate our fate. We always come across the word destiny, but most of us do not really know what it means. D estiny is a predetermined event in a person’s life that is beyond human control. Destiny is also known as our “purpose in life” . In my own opinion, it will take a big deal of time before we discover our true destiny is . I myself who is already 42 years old as of this writing is still in doubt of what my real task in this world. Every single day I always ask my self what my Creator wrote in my palm and what is waiting for me at the end of this tunnel called life. When I was still in my childhood years, I see my future as difficult and full of challenges because that was what I saw from my parents. My dad in particular was the one who inculcated in my mind that adult life is tough and I should prepare for it. He always told