Skip to main content

Warning: Brain Fatigue



Did you know that our brain also suffers from fatigue? Yes, our brain like our body also needs vacation and quality rest. According to the study headed by Hans P.A. Van Dongen, Ph.D., at the University of Pennsylvania, lack of sleep may build up an excess of chemical called adenosine which causes brain fatigue. If you only sleep for 4 to 6 hours a night for 2 straight weeks, your brain will function as if you did not sleep for straight 3 days.

It is important that we give our brain a good night sleep. In the book written by James Maas, Ph.D. entitled “Power Sleep”, to keep our brain functioning properly, we must sleep at least 8 hours a night. Mentioned in this book were his “sleep advices” summarized below:
  1. If you feel tired anytime during the day, close your eyes 10 to 15 minutes. Even if you do not go to sleep, your brain will go on alpha relaxation rhythms.
  2. Avoid taking naps unless you are truly sleep deprived
  3. Stop snoozing the alarm clock. A person that is not sleep deprived do not need an alarm clock in the first place.
These tips will help your brain become alert and less prone to brain fatigue. If you feel you are sleep deprived, try hitting those pillows and take that much deserve sleep vacation.

Image Source: Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bohol, The Province of The Chocolate Hills

Source The province is a popular tourist destination for travelers who enjoy the sun and the beach. It is also the home of the famous Chocolate Hills. Bohol is an island province in the Philippines. The province is a popular tourist destination for travelers who enjoy the sun and the beach.  Located southwest of Bohol’s capital city – Tagbilaran City, is Panglao Island which is famous for its diving locations and listed as one of the top ten diving sites in the world.  Panglao Island has white sandy beaches. Its sand is of high quality that’s why it is exported to other beaches in the world.  Another popular destination in Bohol is the “The Chocolate Hills”. These hills are considered one of Philippines’ natural wonders and is often denoted to as the “Jewel of the Philippines”. These are clusters of hills, approximately 1,700, made up of limestone-surplus which is said to have originated from coral reefs during the ice age when the island was submerged in...

Dad, you are the best father ever

When I was young you taught me how to read and rhyme, And showed me laughter under the smiling sunshine. I remember that day when I stumbled with pain But you carried me in you arms and the pain was gone. You taught me the meaning of respect, to other beings and to thyself You modeled these traits not only in thy words but by actions on oneself You taught me responsibility to thy spouse and to our dynasty You modeled these through thy affection to my mother and members of our family The greatest kings have conquered the strongest nation But believe me; no king is greater than your affection. As you leave this world we know But the love you’ve showed in my heart entombed Today I may be sad because you said goodbye For the angels in heaven took your soul up in the sky If mothers are the best, fathers are the greatest. Thank you for your fatherly love, it was the best. . Image Source: Wikipedia

To unfollow my dream. The beginning.

Image Source: Wikipedia I grew up believing that dreams do come true. I was taught that as long as you work hard, follow your heart's desire, do good, and pray to God, your dreams will someday come true. We were also taught that If you fail once, try again. And if you still fail, try harder. As they say, try and try until you die. Really?  I just turned 40 last year and I guess there is truth in the saying that life begins at 40. A few days after I turned 40, I took the time to assess the years that went pass me. I assessed my career, my finances, my family, and my life in general. I realized that the 40 years of my life was not that easy at all, in fact it was difficult and painful most of the time. Living in a third world country like the Philippines made it even more difficult especially for someone like me who was born in a family whose income is just enough to support our basic needs. As a child I enjoyed little comfort and luxury. I grew up in a state where we do not...